Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Jesus is my type........

So, when you think of Jesus, what comes to mind? A good looking, clean guy with long flowing hair and a nice beard? I mean that is what he looks like in all of the pictures. And even in the film "The Passion of the Christ," He has long hair and a beard. Oh yeah, i forgot, and He is a white American.

I was recently thinking of Jesus, but I was trying not to think of Him like the one we think of most of the time. I was thinking of a Jewish man, probably normal size with shorter hair and maybe a small beard. I also imagine that He might have not been the cleanest guy ever.

Once I caught myself thinking of this type of Jesus, a different time then I was just talking about, and I didn't like Him. I didn't want to think of Him like this. I wanted a nice clean, good looking Jesus. Instead, I had this not so good looking stinkier Jesus. I didn't want the Man that saved me to be "normal." It bothered me. I know it is stupid that that bothered me, but just think of Jesus, how He really was. He isn't a dashing long haired, good looking American. Now maybe Jesus was good looking, but He definitely wasn't American, and I doubt if He had long hair, maybe He did, but I still doubt it. Also, back in this time, they didn't have showers like we do. They also probably didn't wash their clothes very much. And Jesus more than likely only had one thing that He wore, and it wasn't white with a blue sash around his neck. And when you think about it, this makes the whole thing even more beautiful.

You see, I have a problem with this pretty on the outside type of Jesus. The reason that I have a problem with this is because, Jesus didn't care about that. Why would He? It makes us think that we have to pretty ourselves up for Him, that we have to prove something. Yeah, we do have to prove something, that we are real. We need to prove that we are human. If you were someone in need, and someone else came to help you and that person was wearing a suit, what would you think? I know that I would feel weird. I mean this guy is dressed better than I am, he is probably very proper in his talking, and I mean do I care? I am in need, of course I don't care! Take for example guys reading this. Do you get more flustered and nervous when a gorgeous girl is around, or when a normal girl is around, a real down to earth girl. Definitely a good, down to earth girl who you can actually relate to and talk to is easier to be around than a fake girl who is putting on an act. Same thing for girls and an amazing looking guy, or a good down to earth guy that you can relate too. Common, there is a reason why Jesus was normal. It was easier to approach Him. And, God doesn't care about your appearence, he just wants you as you are. Who cares if you wear a pair of jeans and a t-shirt to church? If you have to dress up for God, then what kind of a God is that? I don't want a God that I have to dress up for. I hate dressing up anyways! I know that there are churches out there that if I walked in with the clothes that I normally wear to church, they would condemn me to hell.

Now it isn't wrong to wear a suit to church. I am just trying to explain my reasoning at why the real Jesus is more beautiful than the fake, than the paintings of Jesus that are on our wall at the house. Because it gives us a chance with Him. He is real, He is like us, well except for the fact that He is God and perfect, but you get my point. We can relate to Him. That is so beautiful, because the God of the universe is real! He is relevant!

So, thank Jesus for being normal............

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think it is wrong to wear a suit to church.


But anyways, Dude right on. I believe that this blond hair blue eye business needs to hit the road. I mean why would this crazy image of Jesus be created in the first place obviously the people who created it (the catholic church) missed that day in Geography class in that Sweden is no wear close to the Holy Land. Plus I think that "painting Jesus" is kinda scary, his eyes follow you everywhere.

I sometimes like to think of Jesus as a sort of bum, you know what I mean. Just like one of the guys you would pass laying on the sidewalk. I believe Jesus wanted to challenge not only the ideas and concepts about religion, but he also wanted to change how we see God as a whole. I mean how often do you see a king wearing a robe that hasn't been washed in a week.